Monday 14 January 2013

The Next Phase of Assistive Technology

In the summer of 2012 I completed my first course in assistive technology. That course introduced me to all the different types of technology that can be implemented into the classroom to support a variety of students. It was after that course that I became in awe of the application an iPad can have in the classroom and went out and purchased my own. I am now currently enrolled in the second assistive technology class and look forward to sharing the knowledge I gain and discover through this blog.

The first app we used and I downloaded right away was iMovie. This app is $4.99 and provides a number of opportunities for use in the classroom. The only part of the app that we looked at during this class was movie trailers. I loved the different options and how user friendly it was. That trailers were prearranged for you with music and layout. The only thing you had to do was import the photos and videos where necessary. There is the option of editing the wording and some labels if you choose to do so.



In the last course I discovered at I am very much drawn to lists, so here is my first list on this blog.

5 ways to use iMovie in the classroom
1. Summarize a topic or unit
2. Introduce a topic that students may not be interested in (I.e. fractions, algebra, etc.)
3. Story starter or as encouragement to write
4. Document a lab experiment or field trip
5. To tell a story


We began looking at communication and what is required for effective communication. I am looking forward to learning more about this topic and will be posting about it in the next couple posts. Stay tuned :)

No comments:

Post a Comment